Brookside Center for Counseling and Hypnotherapy
MENTORSHIP, SUPERVISORY and CERTIFICATION PROGRAMS IN CLINICAL HYPNOSIS-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
STATEMENT OF PHILOSOPHY
The training program at Brookside Center for Counseling and Hypnotherapy is based on the fact that hypnosis is not a profession but a tool in the hands of the hypnotherapist. The hypnotherapist must be trained in sizing up the client's problem and then selecting the approach necessary to alleviate the discomfort of the client. The students are required to have knowledge of both normal and abnormal psychology and how to reference and apply such knowledge in the scope of one's practice. For instance: thumb sucking, bed-wetting or nail-biting need to be looked at not only as habits, but also as perhaps the direct manifestation of non-conscious conflicts which might, if removed, precipitate strong feelings of anxiety or insecurity.
Becoming a hypnotist carries with it responsibilities. We must recognize and acknowledge that each person is a unique human being and must be handled in a highly individualized way.
Hypnotists in training need to begin their learning journey by being acquainted with the ethics of the profession, recognizing pathology, learning the fundamentals of interviewing techniques and rapport. Listening and observing are always a major part of the training.
Students are required to complete assigned reading covering, but not limited to, the following: (requirements will be waived for those students who are already proficient in any of the following areas)
Introduction to Assessments
Screening technique to determine the advisability of using hypnosis. (Homework assignments required)
PRACTICUM: INTRODUCTION TO TRANCE STATE
(STUDENTS EXPERIENCE HYPNOSIS FROM INSTRUCTOR)
LIVE DEMONSTRATION OF AN INDUCTION:
The training requires that the students learn by watching their instructor in the process of inducing trance as well as deepening techniques and discussing the process with their instructor.
SELECTING THE APPROPRIATE INDUCTION:
DEMONSTRATION AND DISCUSSION OF VARIOUS INDUCTION TECHNIQUES.
BEFORE THE INDUCTION, IT IS NECESSARY TO ACCESS THE UNCONSCIOUS PART OF THE CLIENT'S MIND.
Integrating the Assessment with the Induction and how to establish a follow up program (monitoring one's effectiveness) is an integral part of the training. The well being of the patient must always be a priority. Since hypnosis deals with the unconscious, we must have a tool that will allow us to become aware of the non-conscious. Students are given the two textbooks Human Figure Drawing: A Screening and Evaluative Tool in Hypnosis and DAPTH: Accessing the Unconscious in the Practice of Hypnosis and Counseling. These techniques are recognized as essential tools, have been adopted by the National Guild of Hypnotists and are being offered at the conventions. The two books are required of all graduate and doctoral candidates in the department of Counseling Psychology, as well as in the department of Family Life Communication at Westbrook University.
IS HYPNOSIS SAFE? IN THE HANDS OF A WELL-TRAINED CLINICIAN, IT IS SAFE. IT CAN BE UNSAFE AND DANGEROUS IN THE HANDS OF A HYPNOTIST WHO GOES BEYOND HIS AREA OF EXPERTISE.
THERE COULD BE COMPLICATIONS RESULTING FROM HYPNOSIS. THIS MUST BE EMPHASIZED IN THE TRAINING OF THE CANDIDATES.
DURING THEIR TRAINING PROGRAMS STUDENTS WILL BE EXPOSED TO VARIOUS PRACTIONERS IN VIVO OR VIA TAPES.
THIS WILL ENCOURAGE THEM TO DEVELOP THEIR OWN STYLE.
Hypnotherapy is a profession in its own right and will gain respect and credibility as the hypnotist's training incorporates an understanding of behavior as well as of the non conscious processes.
It is expected that our are certified students will be prepared to practice. They are invited to consult with the Center as needed.
Students will need to submit three original inductions.
Students can be certified by The International and Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association upon successfully passing their required examination.
(Brookside Center is the recipient of an Award of Excellence for Hypnotherapy Education from the International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association --IMDHA)
The Brookside Center offers two Programs in Hypnotherapy Education:
1. A 200 hour Program leading to Certification
2. A Supervisory/Mentorship Program for the Practitioner
The above programs are recognized by and meet the standards for Certification of IMDHA, the National Board of Hypnotherapy and Hypnotic Anaesthesiology and Westbrook University. Continuing Education Credits are granted and accepted by The National Guild of Hypnotists and other certifying Associations.
1. 200 Hour Program Leading to Certification* (Group size limited to three) Students will learn, in addition to traditional techniques of hypnosis, a variety of methods which can be applicable to pain control, stop smoking, weight control, drug and alcohol abuse, past life regression, skin ailments, phobias, regression therapy, child birth, stress management, and much more. Students will develop skills in observation, sensitivity to clients, rapport, the meaning and theories of hypnosis, principles of suggestion, hypnosis and its relationship to psychic sciences, understanding abnormal behavior and principles of counseling. Students will learn how to network with physicians, chiropractors and other health care providers. Students will be taught how to start their own practice, how to get referrals, how to get recommendations from local doctors and dentists, and much more.
UNIQUENESS OF PROGRAM: This is the only program of its kind which teaches DAPTH, a screening technique created by Maurice Kouguell, which alerts the hypnotherapist to the contra-indication for the use of hypnosis thus minimizing the risk to his, as well as his clients, well being. DAPTH teaches how to access the unconscious, thus offering the hypnotherapist a highly powerful method for success in healing.
LENGTH OF PROGRAM: Students will need to spend three 3-day week-ends at Brookside Center for extensive clinical practice. In between, required reading and individualized assignments will be given according to the level of each student.
*special provisions will be instituted for out-of-town students who will be unable to meet the residency requirements.
2. Supervisory Mentorship Program for the Practitioner. A hypnotist knows how to hypnotize but the hypnotherapist will know when and why to hypnotize, what to do after trance is induced and how to deal with the unpredictable. The Supervisory Mentorship is geared to the individual needs of the practitioner and focuses on the client and not the symptom. The practitioners who can benefit from this Program are those who recognize their own limitations, the importance of having insight before engaging in a hypnotic intervention and who recognize the need to consult with a highly qualified colleague. Students can come for consultation as they need it. Students can come with their own cases or observe a case in progress. *special provisions will be instituted for out-of-town students who will be unable to meet the residency requirements.
Educational Investment Fees:
1. Program Leading to Certification $4,000
This consists of 200 hours which include 9 full days of Practicum Clinical Experiences and Individualized Assignments. Students will receive Mr. Kouguells book: Human Figure Drawing: A Screening and Evaluative Tool in Hypnosis
Graduates will be given three (3) FREE consultations after they begin their own practice. They will receive Certification from Brookside Center which has reciprocity with:
National Council for Medical and Clinical Hypnotherapy; International Medical and Dental Hypnotherapy Association; National Board for Hypnotherapy and Hypnotic Anaesthesiology; CEU Credits earned are recognized by NGH.
2. Supervisory/Mentorship Program for the Practitioner .$75.- for l hour session.
Is Mentorship really for you? Click here for Frequently Asked Questions.
Home | What's New | Dr.Kouguell | Hypnotherapy | Mentorship and Certification | Long Distance Learning| Articles| Products| EFT | Free Downloads |Psychovisual Therapy | Experience Instant Hypnosis| Suggested Reading| Mailing List | Links | Search | Music Anyone?| Kathi Kouguell